Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sweet Potato-Corn Chowder with Avocado


Occasionally, I am shocked when I have a recipe that I haven't yet posted on my blog. I will come to my blog, search around for bit for a recipe that I have made many times, and am certain that I have posted, only to fine that it's not here. This would be the case with this recipe. I have made this several times and love it. I have a few soups that I make regularly in hug quantities and freeze for Stan to take to work for lunch. I do that with the black bean soup, that minestrone soup, and this soup. I got this one from my good friend, Kristen, who recently put me on speed dial, so that means we're legit. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups of chicken broth
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
3 1/2 cups of thawed frozen corn kernels
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
1 ripe pitted, peeled and diced
1/2 sour cream (optional)

In a large pot, heat oil over in medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and suate until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes, stir to coat, and cook 3 minutes.

Add broth, bring to boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add bell pepper and corn and cook until vegetables are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.

Puree half the soup in a blender until smooth. Return to the pot. Stir in cilantro and serve garnished with avocado and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comentitos

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...