Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Polenta with Peperonata

I found this recipe and it just spoke to me...for a couple of reasons: 1) Stan and I love polenta (it's basically my way of getting him to eat grits) 2) I failed at making polenta stuffed peppers, in the which, we really just wanted more polenta and less pepper. This recipe was exactly what I needed; more polenta less pepper. The way in which the peppers are prepared is amazing (and time consuming, but worth it). I blended an onion into a puree for this recipe. I have to say that that was a first. I bought the Bob's Red Mill Polenta and followed the directions on the back. This is such good comfort food. This is what I would want to eat on a cold day after my kids were in bed while I watched a chick-flick in my sweats. I got the recipe from this cool new site that I found. I have several recipes lined up this week from this site...and I want the cookbook. There is something so enjoyable about holding a good cookbook in your hands vs. reading it from your computer. However, I hate having lots of cookbooks. Maybe one say I'll be grown-up enough to know which I'd prefer. Until then, here's a good recipe. Recipe link.

Peperonata (delicious over polenta)
Vegetarian, gluten free, kosher, and optionally vegan
Serves 4

8 ripe bell peppers (any combination of red, yellow or orange)
1 large or 2 medium white onions
5 cloves garlic
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus extra for garnish
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons double-strength tomato paste (or 6 tablespoons of regular tomato paste)
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Handful flatleaf parsley
Preheat over to 400. Cut the tops and bottoms off the bell peppers and reserve for another use. Cut in half vertically and remove and discard the seeds and ribs. Place the peppers cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until the skins are well blistered, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a covered bowl and allow to cool. Peel off skins and tear or cut the peppers into approximately 1/2″ wide strips. Save all of the liquid from the bowl and the baking sheet!
Meanwhile, while the peppers are roasting, make the sofrito. Puree the white onion and garlic in a blender. Put the olive oil in a large, non-reactive (i.e. not cast iron) skillet over medium heat. Don’t use a non-stick pan. Fry the pureed onion, scraping the bottom of the pan frequently, until the water cooks off and the onion is well browned; lower the heat if needed to avoid any burning. Add the salt and tomato paste and cook, scraping frequently for about 10 more minutes, until the sofrito is fairly uniform and a dark rusty brown and turn off the heat.
Add the onion, vinegar, peppers and reserved liquid from the peppers. Set the heat to medium low, and scrape the pan to loosen all those delicious brown bits into the sauce. Cook until the red onions are fully softened, about 15 minutes. You can add a small amount of water if needed.
Just before serving stir in the black pepper and parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve over polenta, finishing with a bit more extra-virgin olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comentitos

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...